Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten


Summer break is over (although I still have a couple of summer stories to post) and today is officially Ellie's first day of Kindergarten. Last night I thought I would be more nervous, but I felt like we were just getting ready for another day of school. Ellie was excited and couldn't wait to wear her new uniform.

This morning the alarm went off at 7:30 am - Ellie had come to my bed in the night - so I rolled over and told Ellie it was time to get up and she said, "Well, c'mon then mom, get up." It's usually not so easy to get Ellie out of bed, but today she made us get right out and we started getting ready.

She looked cute as ever in her uniform. I'm glad she likes it because if she has to wear something she doesn't like, she's grumpy and it's not fun. (When I was a kid about Ellie's age, my mom said she bought me a new pair of pants....I didn't like them so I waited for garbage day and put them out in the trash before she could find out...I don't remember the event, but I also don't deny it happened. Fortunately, Ellie has some of her dad too so we probably won't get to that point. :))

As I left her at school, the feeling I expected last night set in. I hoped she felt comfortable there. I hoped she found some friends. I hoped her teachers are as nice as her preschool teachers. I hated that she wasn't at home this morning. It was so quiet. I am glad she's in school and learning all sorts of good things, but I'll miss her in the morning. I like the noises she makes. Luckily, kindergarten is only 3 hours...so she was home before I had time to do much missing.


And she loved her first day. She felt comfortable, she knew some kids from last year, she said her teachers were nice...she met new friends, Claire and Anya, and her friend Brady was there. She went through her bag to show me some things they had done and we both had homework! They get to have recess and do the weather - today it was sunny. She was also excited that they get to do art work first thing each day. Her only concern is that it is long...meaning 5 days a week. She came home and started making all the same noises. All is well.

3 comments:

Angela said...

How cute! I wore an uniform my entire life. I thought it was so cool I didn't have to do it anymore in college! I'm glad Ellie likes hers. She looks adorable!

LivingstonClan said...

What a cute girl she is! Good thing she takes after her dad that way. ;) Reading your concerns for her makes me realize that I will probably have all of those things running through my mind on Thursday for Tyler. She is such an awesome girl, I am sure school is not a problem at all!

LivingstonClan said...

P.S. I ALWAYS wanted to wear a uniform. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.