Saturday, February 27, 2010

Time for a little bragging

I'm sure every parent likes to brag about their child. It's not a pride thing, it's a proud thing. I am so proud of Ellie and who she is at five. I am so proud of the things she has learned so far in Kindergarten. So it's my time....to do a little bragging about it.

Ellie is one of the top readers in her class. She quickly moved to chapter books and was so proud of herself when she finished her first chapter book, Junie B Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus. (Although she wouldn't say stupid or hate - she replaced them with stinky and don't like. Gosh - I love her.) She knew it was a big accomplishment and she just kept saying how excited she was that she did it. She has moved on to a few more Junie B Jones, Amelia Bedelia, and Ivy and Bean books.

The class did a presentation for parents of pre-school children wanting to attend kindergarten. They demonstrate their math, reading, science and art skills. Ellie was chosen as the reader for the parents and read out loud in front of parents that were strangers. I am just so proud.

Their class in February also had a read-a-thon challenge against the other two kindergarten classes at Challenger. For every so many pages they got a pedal on their flower and whichever class had the largest flower at the end of the month won. Ellie would come home from school every day and just start reading. She said, "I just want to read" so many times. I love when I find her with a book in her room quietly reading. I am excited that she can read 80-90% of ANYTHING. It is incredible - and I am so proud of her.


Ellie's art is fantastic. I'm not sure what to say about it other than it makes me smile.


Ellie's math skills are also incredible at five. Not only can she do story problems, but she is now writing them! She can count to 200 by 2, 5, 10, 20, and 25. When they can do this in their class it is called a "Shooting Star." It hasn't been Ellie's turn yet to pass off her Shooting Star - but she is ready. She also knows all of her addition and subtraction from 1-20. 8+8, no problem. 10-2, easy peasy lemon squeezy (as Ellie would say.) She is learning to tell the time and count change. We counted $1.78 in my car the other day.



There is also spelling, and phonics, and writing, and so many other subjects she does so well at. Penmanship is her only weakness, but I am a horrible example to her. :) The class has a spelling test each Friday and Ellie has gotten 100% every single week but one.


The last subject I will write about is science. Her class did a science project on germs. They took samples with Q-Tips from 10 items in their classroom and then grew them in petri dishes. They each then formed a hypotheses of which would contain the most germs. Ellie chose the shoe. They put together a presentation, had a research book, and then when the project was complete, they presented it to their parents. Ellie can define question, hypothesis, procedure, results, and conclusion. The five steps in the scientific method. I video taped the entire presentation, but it is too big for blogger. It is impressive though.




This is Ellie's first quarter report card.


I am proud of Ellie for her accomplishments in school. But I am even more proud of the person she is. She is so sweet and honest and kind. She is funny and fun. She is genuine about her love and loves everyone equally. She behaves well and follows the rules. She is the true joy of my life. I couldn't be more proud to be the mom of Ellie. (I only hope I can continue to say that when she's a teenager. Hehe.) Five was a really fun age and since she can't stay small - I look forward to six next month!

2 comments:

Angela said...

I'm impressed! I love how many times you wrote "I'm so proud of her". You are such a sweet mom Brooke! You are both so lucky to have each other!

@mie said...

Man, I wish public school was as good as private!
You are awesome Ellie!!! =)