Thursday, October 7, 2010

Some things about Uncles....



It's no big secret how much I love my brothers - I feel so blessed to have each of them. They are so different. They both have incredible talents - just in different areas. Levi is strong and grounded and focused. He strives for perfection and achieves it in many areas. Jed is light and funny and personable. He can relate to anyone. He is the only Heath I can actually talk on the phone with and could for hours. (I am not a phone person either.) One is not better than the other - they are just different. They are so much more than what I have briefly described here so please don't mistake these words as all I have. I could go on and on about each one and how incredible they are for me...but this blog is for Ellie. (This picture is just for me though...I just love them.)


Jed lives closer so of course we have more time with him and more stories to tell, but know - my love runs deep for both of them as does my admiration. I hope Ellie one day has at least one brother as great - but for now she has two incredible uncles that both love her immensely and I smile and have the best feelings when they interact with her.

Levi - who hates talking on the phone - will take the time to just talk to Ellie. He is cute with her and treats her like his own. He always takes the time to talk to just her when he is here. He finds out what is going on in her life. He jokes with her. He opens his home to her. He shares his children with her and she fits in there. She loves his family. Ellie loves him. I couldn't find a picture of the two together, but if I had one, they would both give you an expression of what love is.

A few things about uncle Jed. We see uncle Jed at least once a week for Sunday dinner. And it's just not enough. Ellie goes to grandma's each Sunday around 1:00 to spend time with her and uncle Jed usually comes early. He spends Sunday afternoons with my mom and Ellie. Kevin and I usually come a couple of hours later. Jed plays trucks with Ellie - he ties her up (pun intended) - he holds her when she cries - he has actually started to feel guilty when he says no (I told him welcome to parenthood). He laughs at her and she couldn't be happier to see him each week. They are for sure buddies. He has a soft spot for her in his heart and she equally, if not more adores him.


So two of my most recent favorite uncle Jed stories. We were sitting around at my mom's and Jed throws out - hey kids - why don't you slide down the stairs - almost as a joke - yet then he gets the sleeping bag out and teaches them. Something only an uncle (or brother) would do! They had a great time and we have laughed over and over about it.




The second story was yesterday - Ellie and I were driving on 215 and there was a huge dead elk in the back of a guy's truck. I was hoping she wouldn't see it because it had been decapitated and it was disturbing. Of course she saw it. It was inconceivable to her.

"Oh my goodness, that is gross - ew - I can't look - why would anyone want to kill a deer?"

So I had her call Uncle Jed to find out. :) She proceeded to tell him to not kill deer - but lucky for us - he has my dad's hunting luck.

I am sure I could come up with more, but that's what I have for this post. I am so thankful for the uncles in Ellie's life and love how much they love my child. And for the fun memories they help create.

1 comment:

Angela said...

What a sweet post!