Thursday, October 7, 2010

Ellie and Wedding

Yesterday there was something about Ellie I just couldn't stop watching. Her face is the perfect shape and her skin is creamy and soft. She is innocent and kind. Her eyes seem to dream of magic. She is so incredibly beautiful in every meaning of the word. I think I most enjoy quietly watching her (but I'm sure she'd prefer I play). I wish I could forever hold the images I stole in the car as she created her own masterpiece, as she sang along to the music, while she was the perfect patient at the dentist, as she was reading music while practicing piano.

We have so many precious moments, but they are mixed in with parenting, sass, impatience and disrespect. I lay in bed wondering how to be a better parent, how to keep my temper, how to teach without nagging, how to protect her yet educate her...how to...how to...how to think like a six year old.

Sorry - that was off the point - so back to the precious moments. Since we last talked - of course a lot has happened.

Kevin and I got married on August 8th. I fully realize that this was not just our marriage but a family change for Ellie. It has been a really good thing for all of us and I think Ellie really enjoys it. Her biggest concern with the marriage was not being able to sleep with me if she wanted - that Kevin was taking her spot in my bed. I told her she always has a spot next to me and Kevin won't mind. She tested this out a few times and now it's settled in her mind. She enjoys having Kevin with us in the mornings , she likes that they get ready at the same time and he goes to work at the same time she goes to school. She likes when he comes home from work and is always excited to see him.

I never really wanted to have to explain "step" and "half" and "whatever" relationships - but that is now the case, it has been interesting as Ellie gains an understanding. "Mom - if you have another baby, Kevin will be the dad and my dad will be the step dad, right?" "If dad has a baby you will be the step-mom?" The answer to this was pretty upsetting to Ellie - I think it's great that she loves her dad so much she wants to share any siblings with him. Garred is a great dad and I am so glad she has him.

So back to the wedding - we had the wedding on Coronado Island in San Diego - the three of us flew in on Friday to LA and had to fight with traffic (and my patience) to get to San Diego - we were late for some appointments so while I was getting my preview hair done for the wedding, Ellie and Kevin partnered up to run the rest of the errands - picked up the tux, delivered decorations to the florist, confirmed the spa location and appointments (thank goodness because they had lost them) and picked up last minute items. They are a good team and enjoy hanging out.


Saturday we spent the day with our families at Sea World - cousin Mason was there along with cousin-to-be Faith and the three girls enjoyed each other. We enjoyed having all of Kevin's family and all of my family together. It was a sacrifice for all of them to come that far - but we really enjoyed the day.

Ellie did not want to go on the ride that got shot out of the mountain, but she stood below the ride and got soaked again and again.







Saturday night all of the girls went for pre-wedding manicures and pedicures. Ellie has never been a huge fan of this - she'd prefer to just wait on my lap than to get hers done. But this time she was excited - she enjoyed the massage chair and was excited about how her toes and nails turned out. I think it helped to have Faith and Mason there.



I had to drop some girls downtown and we had been running so fast I hadn't even fed Ellie when we were done - so she left with grandma and aunt Robin and we met back at the hotel for a quick picnic in grandma's room. It was a fun and crazy day - it was great having my entire family at the hotel - we were excited to have such a fun place to stay and have the wedding.

That night Ellie and I spent the night together (in the same bed) before the big day.


Sunday was the wedding and it was perfect. There is probably a lot to say about it, but I'm not sure what to share. My family was incredible - Jed and my mom helped so much. Ellie was beautiful, I had someone come and do her hair, she had her own bouquet and was the perfect maid of honor - we had a practice the night before so she knew exactly what to expect, so she seemed to not be too nervous. Ellie couldn't have been more beautiful. I think she really enjoyed the day.

I know most people don't get to share their wedding day with their child - but I couldn't have been happier to have her there. The three of us are a good fit - we enjoy each other so much and we had the perfect day. We got to make promises to each other and share a day of love and family and friends and bliss.

Ellie was supposed to leave with cousin Mason for LA, but she was tired and not quite ready to leave mom yet. So before I retired for the night I spent a little bit of time with her and to be honest, I was happy to spend some personal time with just her after the big day. Then she had a sleep-over with grandma and Uncle Jed.




Monday we got up and ready and headed for LA for Ellie to spend the week at Mason's while Kevin and I went on our honeymoon. I loved the drive to LA - much more relaxed than the ride there and we had a great time together. She was happy to be spending a week at Mason's - her first time away from home on her own.


I frequently ask Ellie about her day and she usually responds - "I forgot" so I told her to write down the things she did at Mason's. Here are a few things she wrote. :)
  • Mason's friend came over
  • We went to the beach
  • Watch TV - kids spase
They also went to the aquarium and enjoyed Mason's birthday together. It was a fun week for her and a fun thing to do. Another side note - our honeymoon was the best vacation I've ever had.

We came home on Saturday and spent the day with Ellie and Mason's family. It was fun to see them - to bring them gifts, take them for treats, and just spend the day with them before we headed home and the trip was over. Another side note - we couldn't be more thankful for Auntie Robin - she kept all of the kids by herself for the week - she kept them happy and safe and we LOVE her.




So the wedding is over - we are back home safe for almost two months now and we are happy. We have over 1,000 pictures of the wedding and honeymoon to help us with the memories. But now we have each other too. It's a good little family.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm in tears! I think Ellie will love to read all these sweet words when she is older, so I'm glad you are keeping this blog for her!
That last picture priceless. I love how you look so happy with your husband but yet she is the main person in the picture.
I'm so happy for you guys!