We had, what I like to call, a pretty kick-ass summer. (Pardon the swear.) We started the summer with a 9 day trip to South Dakota, we took a trip to Ohio and visited family and Amish country. Mason came to stay with us for a month and the girls went non-stop. Ellie had zoo camp, golf camp, and five Thanksgiving Point camps. We went camping in Flaming Gorge for our family reunion, tried paddle boarding for the first time, we had Jed's wedding in our back yard. Ellie went to Lagoon, Cowabunga Bay, Strawberry Days Rodeo, Hogle Zoo, Mason's birthday, Analia's birthday. She played night games, rode her bike like a champion and had a chore-free, homework-free summer. (Basically, just one big run-on sentence of a summer.)
On the last day of summer Ellie did something I never thought she'd do this summer.
We were camping and boating with our friends the Vandlindens. We had been playing and skiing. Ellie had mostly been playing on the beach. We had just gotten back to shore from taking Paige skiing and I asked Ellie if she just wanted to try on the skis to see how they would feel. She said no, but then Reagan said yes, which prompted Ellie to try also. Reagan then decided to give skiing a try, which again, prompted Ellie to try.
I couldn't have been more excited. (Likely because this was how I spent most of my childhood.) I helped her get the skis on nice and tight and then held her in the water (which gave me so many memories of my dad doing this for me) and then I coached her through it. On her first try she was up! It didn't last long and she made a typical beginner mistake (bending her arms) that made her fall, but who cares? She did it and it was awesome and I was so proud and you can totally hear me screaming in the background of the video.
Later that night at dinner we were talking about it and she said, "You are a good teacher. You should teach other people." As if my day wasn't already amazing - that finished it up as the best last day of summer.


No comments:
Post a Comment