Ellie and Taj also did not think April snow was all that bad. I love how kids can make what I felt was a crappy weather day into pure joy. I learn a lot from Ellie.
On April 5th, Ellie lost her 7th tooth. She has a bit of a picket fence smile, but it's beautiful all the same. She was determined to let this one fall out all on its own, but in the end she had to give it a little tug - which she actually did because it was hanging. It had worked its way out so far that when she pulled it I think she was surprised when it was in her hand instead of her mouth because she didn't really feel it.
Ellie had her spring break in April, which of course didn't feel like a "spring" break, but we had fun with her out of school. I had several appointments that week with sub-contractors for the house that I took Ellie to. In a week's time I think even she started to understand the amount of work and stress goes into building a house. By Wednesday she would say, "We have to go to the house again?" We covered rock walls, cabinets, wood floors and electrical placement during spring break. I enjoyed having a partner in house building that week. We did have Kayla from school over for a play date one day when I was working and we also make it out to Boondocks with her friends Rachel and Kayla from school. So it wasn't all work and any week where Ellie doesn't have to get up early for school and do homework is good in Ellie's book.
On April 17th we celebrated Kevin's birthday with a Sunday party at my mom's house and an Easter craft. It was the official close of craft season as Ellie became more interested in playing outside (when we had a hint of sun) than doing the craft. I can't say I blame her. All Kevin wanted for his birthday was for the rain to stop on Saturday so we would be able to play golf with my family- and he got it. In fact it stayed nice so he and I played again on his birthday - two days in a row!
April was so much rain, and taxes (because when it rains it pours - ugh) plus so many things to do for the house (in addition to rock walls, cabinets and wood floors there was lighting, carpet, finish carpentry, stone for the fireplace, furniture and so much more.) We spent so much time running around it was nice to get a small break in both weather and work to spend an afternoon with family for an Easter picnic and egg hunt. We really lucked out to not have rain. We spent several hours and Thanksgiving Point gardens enjoying each other, the food, the fun, and the amazing gardens. Ellie mastered her back bend and ran around with her cousins.
This picture is my favorite. I love those two so much. The flowers are beautiful and it is deceptive enough to make you think we actually had spring.
After the picnic, we went to my mom's house to color Easter eggs in preparation for the big day!
Easter morning we woke up an the bunny had paid us a visit.
I love the look on Ellie's face in these two pictures.
Kevin and I took the opportunity to show Ellie what you can do with one of Kevin's favorite Easter candies.
We got Ellie ready to go to church with her dad in her Easter dress, a fun braid/bun hairstyle and one of my necklaces. When we were done she looked so beautiful, but she also looked a bit too old for me.
Ellie was super excited and talked for weeks about her three egg hunts: one at Thanksgiving Point, one at home from the Easter bunny, and then of course one at Grandma's house. On Sunday Ellie made us hide and find the eggs three or four times at home and then again at my mom's.
I love that a few things my mom has done for fun, Ellie has turned into must-have traditions. We got to have two of those in April....a Sunday birthday party (for Kevin) and an Easter egg hunt. Thanks mom!
Kevin and I were talking and he said he doesn't remember Easter being that big of a deal for him when he was little, but I recall it as one of my favorite holidays. We were both pretty sure that with the amount of excitement Ellie gets out of egg hunts, she too will remember it as a great holiday. Of course, we know it's not all about eggs and bunny's and we are thrilled that two of our greatest family times and holiday seasons are because of Christ and we are thankful that even in a month as crazy as this April was we were blessed to take the time to celebrate the resurrection and enjoy that time together.
This picture cracks me up because it's Ellie, in her pjs at the grocery store. Like I said, it was a busy month and we just had to fit things in whenever we could.
By the end of April, we had a couple of days of sun. We sat on the lawn to do homework, Kevin helped Ellie take her first crack at a golf ball and Ellie picked me some dandelions. Notice we have two sets of them...that is because they die immediatley inside yet Ellie tried two days in a row to keep them alive.
The last day of April Ellie had her final dance competition where they took third place and Ellie received her first dance trophy. It was the largest competition I had ever seen and was so proud of them for being brave enough to go on stage AND for taking third place. They were awesome!
April was a crazy month, but thanks to my cute little family I held it all together, made a lot of house progress, and still had time for some fun memories.

No comments:
Post a Comment