On August 20th, the Friday before school started, Ellie and I went to find her classroom and meet her teacher. Her 1st grade teacher would be Mrs. Wingrove and she would be 1 of 19 children in her class. Ellie was super excited.
The first day of school - all ready:
Eating:
Leaving:
On the way:
Okay - so I realize with all the pictures...I was just preparing myself. :)
At first, I hated not having her afternoon playing sounds - but I've adjusted. And I just enjoy it when she finally does get home.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy all day school was for Ellie. She came home hungry, but not exhausted, and not at all complaining about how long the day was. As a matter of fact she says, "It feels like 2 hours."
School has been incredible for Ellie. She loves recess and lunch of course, but she also loves art, computers, and math.
We quickly decided she should get a new haircut for school - so we did that on the 26th of August.
We also decided together she would have catered lunch. So we went to the lunch website and Ellie picked out her lunch selections for the first couple of months. One day she came home and told me she had chicken and that her friend helped her cut it. Ellie was very unprepared to cut her own chicken! I had failed to prepare her for that! I guess up to that point I had always been around during a meal to cut meat or open the hard things, to tell her to eat so many more bites, etc.
So on September 10th, we went out to dinner and had a lesson on cutting meat. Ellie is now much more prepared and crazy enough, doesn't come home as hungry as she used to. :)
September 9th was back to school night for parents and I was excited to read Ellie's school journal. I was excited that even though she was away all day school made her happy and yet home and mom still entered her mind. She for sure makes me happy.
On September 21st I joined Ellie and her friends for lunch. It was great to be there and to still be wanted there. (I wonder what grade that changes in?) Ellie had the most popular table that day as everyone wanted to sit by a mom. I even got to stay for lunch recess and I was for sure the most popular item as I lifted and pushed them around and around on different toys.
This week Ellie wanted to try packing her own lunch because she had catered lunch the first three months - so in November we are packing a lunch and I think accessorizing with a lunch box has been the exciting part. Much like using the internet to pick her lunch when it's catered. I don't think the food matters to her either way. I really just think she wanted to try lunch both ways.
I was unprepared for first grade, but other than the chicken incident, Ellie couldn't have been more prepared. I am so proud of her and her accomplishments so far this year. I am blessed to have Ellie in a school with such great values and appreciate they let me be part of the day sometimes. With such great things happening in first grade, I adjusted fast and feel like second grade (for me) will be a breeze. (Ha ha...I say that now.)

No comments:
Post a Comment