Sunday, November 8, 2009

Octobrrrrrrr (becaue it was COLD)

Apart from the freezing cold days and snow we had in October, it was a great month. Ellie, back in her winter spirit was only sad we didn't get more snow so she could build a snowman. And of course mentioned to me that I "could stay in the trailer" when she expressed a desire to be on the tops of the mountains camping where the snow was. She also told Kevin she wanted it to snow more so she could build a snowman. He told her he didn't think it would and she said, "Santa will make sure it keeps snowing." We all know Santa controls the snow.

Ellie is also really lovey right now. She tells me she loves me over 10 times a day. I am enjoying it each time. I love you so bad. I love you mom. Mom, I love you. Words that will never get old. She wants hugs and kisses over and over and over. Ahh.

Everything is so magical to Ellie. When a big group of birds are together in the sky her face lights up. When a cloud formation look like a "tornado" she gets excited and has to share. When we pass a bright yellow dandelion she just has to pick it. I love how magical the world is to her. She helps me so often to see the greatness of this world and enjoy the beauty in it all.

Ellie is a very a happy kid. She still sings a good portion of the day. And I love when she says cute little lines at appropriate times "knick knickidy - knock" when she wanted Kevin's attention or "tally-ho down there" when she was at the top of the play structure and I was at the bottom.

She is also a ton like me. Kevin has started calling her mini-mom. We often have the same responses to things and many of the same exaggerated facial expressions. Kevin and Ellie eat the garlic sticks when we get pizza and I rarely do so they always smell like garlic to me days after. One night when I was on my way home from NYC Kevin got pizza and garlic sticks for Ellie and him for dinner and her comment in a very dramatic way was, "I am going to smell like garlic forever." It cracks me up the little things she picks up from me.

We packed in the activities as usual in October. We started on day 1 (October 1st for you slower readers) packing in fun with our favorite cousins. MASON came for a weekend visit, so after school we rushed over and let the playing begin. They were excited as usual and enjoyed the day. We then left to attend cousin KAMRI's birthday party. Classic skating here we come. It was Ellie's second time on skates, but her first time at a rink. I think I may have had more fun than the girls. Ellie was really hesitant at first which is no big surprise, had a fall which scared her quite a bit, but by the end had it down pretty well and would let go of my hand. Ellie loves Kamri so much and it's fun she has cousins she enjoys so much.




The second day of October Mason anxiously waited for Ellie to get out of school and me to get done with work. Once we made it to Grandma's house the playing never ended. The entire neighborhood of kids played and played. I love my mom's neighborhood. The kids are all so cute and they all enjoy each other. Poor little Logan wanted so bad to be in the fun, he's just a little too small to keep up. Ellie didn't want to leave so she stayed and had a sleepover at grandma's with cousin Mason.


Grandma took charge and made sure October 3rd was jam packed with fun. We started in the pumpkin patch picking out our own pumpkins. Ellie loves the little pumpkins. She likes to take care of little things and made sure she had a few of them before we left. Logan liked sitting in the fields and Mason muscled her huge pumpkin. It was so fun.





It was then off to the aviary where we enjoyed watching the laughing Kookaburra.


Ellie and Mason also enjoyed acting them out, feeding the birds, and just being silly little girls.



My favorite part was seeing the flamingos. There was something "magical" about them that Ellie and I both enjoyed. (Oh, and Logan holding my hand...that kid never wants to hold hands and yet he wanted mine. It was so sweet.)

As if that wasn't enough for the day, we then went to the Wee Witches day at Gardner Village. It was packed but we still got to see the cute witches and Mason and Ellie wanted their hair pink.


We couldn't end the fun there, so Mason came to our house for a sleep-over. After a bath with pink water they finally retired for the night with a movie.


We decorated for Halloween on the 4th before we headed to Grandma's for dinner and the last few hours with Mason. It was such a great weekend. We were sad to see them go, but not too sad this time because we knew we would be seeing them again in two short weeks.


In between fun activities Ellie had to get her first cavity filled. I was so bummed - she got it between her back teeth as they have moved closer together. But, we have flossed every single day since. Ellie won't go to bed before flossing. She is determined. I was worried about how it would go because up to this point Ellie has enjoyed the dentist. I was so impressed by how great the dentist was with her and when we left she said, "It's kind-of fun getting cavities fixed."

On the 14th it was time for our annual shopping trip. I seriously love this trip and it's always so fun. I think we are 13 years strong now. Ellie enjoys seeing Mason, but this year she was also into the shopping. She is planning to take her own money next year to get a few things. We did our usual route which means the first and last nights we stay in Primm. The hotels aren't so great there and Ellie showed what a mini-me she really is. I usually have cleanliness concerns in hotel rooms. Ellie has obviously been influenced when one of the first things she said in the room was, "Eww - seriously, this lamp has hair on it!" It cracked me up. At least I can laugh at myself.

We visit the Orange County Marketplace and last year the girls discovered the bounce house and slides. This year, the minute we got there they asked where it was and when they could do it.


By the end of the day Ellie was tired so Kevin made her a seat in the cart. It was awesome.


Not a bad moment for anyone on this trip. The food, shopping and company are always fantastic! Ellie said, "If we stayed two more days, I would be out of unders."




When we were at Gardner Village we learned that you can do a scavenger hunt for witches and then get a cookie for only a quarter. So we went back when it was less crowded with our friends Sage and Taj and found every last witch. It was fun and the girls loved running from witch to witch. Here are the three girls at their second to last witch with their spookiest faces.


I was then off to NYC which is a story all by itself. Ellie stayed home and I'm so thankful to my dear friend Rachel who helps me out often and of course Kevin who always helps me. Here is just one picture that Ellie liked from my trip. She was excited I met these three.


As Halloween is always the end of the month, it will be the end of this post too. Ellie's teacher had asked me to do a craft with the kids on their Halloween party day. So I got ready and went with Ellie to school on the 30th. She was really excited to have me their. (I wonder how many years that will last.) She was excited I was the mom doing the craft. They had a spelling test first and then they were off to the parade, pirate program, and the spook alley. Then back to the class for a craft, games and a treat.



It was such a great school day and I was glad I got to be a part of it. During one of the games I looked at the wall and there was an "Amazing Work"board. Ellie had two of the nine papers! She has also been student of the day twice! I'm just so proud.


We also got to go to Kevin's work and trick-or-treat there. They decorate all the buildings and then invite the families to come. You wouldn't even know it was an office - Peter Pan was probably my favorite room, Kevin's was Thriller and Ellie liked Pacman. Kevin's team did the Flintstones so he was dressed as a member of the Water Buffalo's Lodge. Someone from work asked him if he was the Grand Poobah.


Halloween morning Ellie and I woke up and I couldn't believe we had been so busy all month we hadn't even carved pumpkins. So we took some leftover stuff from the school craft and decorated our pumpkins instead. I think they are so cute and I didn't have to get slimy.



Ellie spent Halloween night with her dad and went trick-or-treating with cousins Kamri and Addie. She told me she got 135 pieces of candy so I would call that a successful Halloween!

4 comments:

LivingstonClan said...

Holy Moly Post lady!!! Looks like you guys have way more fun at your house than we do at ours--in fact, Bailey just said "Maybe we should go to Ellie's house sometime." Yes Bailey, yes we should! I am eating up all of Tyler's lovie's lately too--who knows how long it will last.

Dave said...

That's quite a month! I liked how you said everything is magical to Ellie - a few days ago I was reading an old Calvin and Hobbes book "There is Treasure Everywhere." That is something that we definitely forget as we get older. Do you go to NYC often? Next time let us know and we can meet for dinner or something - we're just a quick train ride away.

Dave said...

One more thing - let it snow!!! =)

Angela said...

Again, when you come to the East, LET ME KNOW!! I haven't seen you in years and I'd love to have you for dinner at least someday.

I loved the video of Ellie skating. So fun! It looks like you had a great October! I